Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Who is Responsible for Our Future?



Every day I shake my head at the songs played on the radio, the way our children dress, the way they speak, and the way they behave in public. It saddens me to see how little pride and dignity some of our children possess.


Most of us, myself included, see the problem, shake our heads, and keep right on walking as if scared to say something for fear they will retaliate or simply dismiss what we have to say.

Well, I’ve reached my breaking point!

It is our responsibility to show our children the way. Not just the ones who share your dna but the little boy up the street who is using more curse words in one sentence than you have used in your entire life, or the little girl at the mall who’s skirt is so short that nothing is left to the imagination, or the group of kids gathering around in a circle for a fight.

I can never remember where this quote came from but it says, “We have to be the change we want to see”. We see something different everyday that disturbs us whether it be the stories in the news, the television shows our children watch, the videos on Bet, the role models our children choose to follow, the slang we speak; etc. (Check out my brothers at www.staychiseled.com and get the males perspective on some of these issues.)

We can no longer bit our tongues and shake our heads at our children. It really does take a village to raise a child, so it’s time for us to start being the village rather than the spectators who simply watch it implode.

Our children need to realize that the way they carry themselves in public does not just represent who they are but it reflects on our race as a whole. Although the burden may not be fair, it’s real. Society will continue to judge us according to what they see and hear. It is up to us to make sure that what they hear is intelligence and what they see is our pride.

We constantly complain about how all they show of us on the news is the negative…….well we have to write our own stories and create our own images. We have to erase the negative and replace it with a positive so that the media will have no option but to report us as we truly are…..Proud, Responsible, Upstanding, Educated, Respectable, African American brothers and sisters.

I’m making a commitment to take time out from now on to speak life into our children. I am making the commitment to stop the next little girl I see using her body rather than her brain. I am making the commitment to stop the next little boy that’s lost his way. What will you commit to? Who do you think is responsible for our future?

Wake up Everybody!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great Post lady! When I first read this. It made me think of a couple of things we see threw television, radio, and the discovery channel that only show shit to interest iggnorance to the public to only motivate a thug even more!! It's a sad and cold world out here we live in but it's great to know that someone'e out there motivating the positive along with us!! Again, Great blog!!

    -Johann Schimdt
    www.StayChiseled.com-Johann_Schimdt@StayChiseled.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alpha of StayChiseled.com says -

    this article has so much truth in it. Great perlude to Dick Gregory's excerpt video. Man, I never thought about that Condie comment he made. We gotta start this revolution yesterday!

    Respect to Mahogany...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some say that the first step to being successful is to first decide what you want. Well its past time and we need to teach our Youth how to properly make that decision so that one day they just might see that mountain top that Dr. King spoke of. I think I need a Dr. Pepper now. My compliments to the author of this much needed post who's Future is very Bright!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say the children are our future and everyday that I venture out amongst our youth I see a future that is increasingly bleek and brainwashed. A nation of followers. For years I have held this thoughts and feelings inside thinking it was just me being negative. But now that I see you and your fellow blog partners feel the same, it is time for us all to take steps to correct the situation. Movements start with one strong voice, continue to speak on it until the peopel listen.

    ReplyDelete