Thursday, August 12, 2010

Independent Women



I scream independence from the top of my lungs. I am woman hear me roar as I beat on my chest. I love being in control of my own life and accomplishing all my goals on my own terms.
Question:
Are we women sometime independent to a default?
Have we become so independent that we no longer know how to let a man take the lead?
Just curious!
I've noticed that as we obtain degree's, purchase homes, and climb the corporate ladder, alot of us are doing it as single women. Nothing wrong with doing it on your own but is that by choice or because we have alienated past boyfriends, ex husbands, and potentials with our "I don't need you attitude".
I was raised in a single parent home by a very independent, strong willed, and sometimes strict mother! I was taught to be very independent and stand on my own two feet. I understood at a young age while watching my mother work two and three jobs that if I wanted something done, I needed to do it myself.
I think that when she was teaching me how not to depend on others she forgot to teach me that when someone comes along who is worthy of relinquishing a piece of your heart and power too, you gotta be willing to give a little. I think that holds true for a lot of women. We didn't get the memo that if a man is gonna pay the bills, it's still ok to have a home cooked meal waiting when he gets home. Someone forgot to say that if you have to setup as the breadwinner for a period of time in this recession, when he gets back on his feet, you gotta let him take back over.
A man has to feel like a man! You can't remind him every few days that you make more money than him. You can't tell him about all the things he does wrong without telling him about all the things he does right.
All I'm saying is, we women (myself included) have to stand tall to get to where we want to be but we still have to be willing to stand beside the good men that are trying to be..........good men!!!!

1 comment:

  1. We all know the truth but being able to accept it and learn from it are two different thing. Thank you reminding me to allow a man to be a man. Great blog Sis!

    ReplyDelete