Friday, August 13, 2010

Daddy's Home

Daddy’s Home No, this has nothing to do with the Usher song. Sorry to disappoint!

You see, as a child, those words never came out of my mouth. I was raised in a single parent home. The truth is, I shouldn’t even be here. My father was married and my mother was only trying to make the man who had her heart jealous on the night that I was conceived. Like I said.....I shouldn't even be here. But I sure as hell am glad that I am.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that my father wasn't a part of my life. To know him now is to know that I didn't miss out on much. You see the relationship we didn't build while I was young has turned into a relationship I am still not comfortable trying to build. He tries from time to time but it always reverts back to the same pattern of lies and deceit. Had we of been able to be father and daughter when I was young, maybe the outcome of this nonexistent relationship would have been different.

The first time I ever meet this man was when I was about 8 years old. No, he didn't show up unexpectedly at my door. I overheard a conversation between my mother and a cousin of ours that he had been involved in an accident. This made me want to see him. Despite my mother's reservations, she took me.

There are two things I remember about that first encounter, I meet my siblings and my mom left in tears! After that my father would come to our home usually a few months before Christmas every few years and promise me this or that. Two to three months after Christmas, I would still be holding out hope that he would come knocking at our door. He never showed!

I won't say that he's a bad father because he did right by my siblings whom are a product of his wife. He just wasn't a father to me. I understand it! I was the mistake that occurred after a one night stand some 30 years ago.

This isn't my attempt at male bashing, this is my cleansing!

Word of advice: If you have a father in you life, cherish him! If you don't, don't use his absence as an excuse for why you didn't accomplish the things you should have. If you are a mother trying to protect your child from the man who disappointed you, allow your child to see who he is on their own. That one I know is hard but you can't protect them from everything. It may turn out that he is a much better father than he was a lover.

There are too many single parent homes and too many children crying at night because daddy's NOT home. I applaud the women that raise sons and daughters alone. I applaud the men that do the same.

All I'm saying is no child should have to grow up watching families play in the park and long for those same interactions. No child should have to feel less than because their family doesn't look like the one up the street. No child should have to feel abandoned by the people who were supposed to love them!

Do what you want with you body and your reproductive organs but consider the consequences when your encounter produces life unexpectedly.

Ladies: If you aren't ready for motherhood, chances are, it isn't ready for you! Protect yourself!

Fellas: If you are creeping, the best way to keep it a secret is to use every precaution so your night of passion doesn't turn into a lifetime of responsibility.

Oh, by the way, no contraceptive is 100%!

Just saying..............................

********************************************************************************************************************************

If you are in the NC area and are an aspiring author, poet, spoken word artist; etc join my writing group: www.meetup.com/the-mahogany-experience-writing-group

1 comment:

  1. I feel like you spoke from the heart on that subject. Alot of fathers are not as loyal as they portray. I'm glad you were able to allow yourself to release this off your chest and speak truth along with it. Not only for you but for the fathers...Daddies that arent there like they should be!!

    -Johann Schimdt
    www.StayChiseled.com-Johann Schimdt@StayChiseled.com

    ReplyDelete