Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Today is International Literacy Day

“September 8 was proclaimed International Literacy Day by UNESCO on November 17, 1965. It was first celebrated in 1966. Its aim is to highlight the importance of literacy to individuals, communities and societies. On International Literacy Day each year, UNESCO reminds the international community of the status of literacy and adult learning globally. Celebrations take place around the world [1].


Some 776 million adults lack minimum literacy skills; one in five adults is still not literate and two-thirds of them are women; 75 million children are out-of-school and many more attend irregularly or drop out.” (Reference source is wikipedia)

In celebration of International Literacy Day, I encourage everybody to pick up a book, magazine, newspaper, journal, or visit your favorite site and get to reading. 

I don’t think I understood the importance of reading to children until my child began to struggle with it early on in school. I thought I had given him all the tools he needed to be successful but how could I have done so when I failed to read to him every day?!?!? He no longer struggles with reading but there are millions of children and adults who do all across the world.

I wouldn’t be doing my duty as an aspiring author if I didn’t promote and encourage every single person to read. It truly is fundamental! Can you imagine having to sign your name to a document but you have no clue what is says? Can you imagine being the child in school who is scared to read aloud because of fear that other children will laugh at you?

It’s never too late to learn how to read. I encourage you to volunteer for organizations in your community that promote literacy. If you don’t have time to volunteer donate a couple of dollars towards the enrichment of people within your community. Not knowing how to read is like not knowing the joy of freedom. You are literally chained and bound by what other people are willing to tell you. It was not so long ago that we were fighting for equal education. Now we are afforded the same opportunities as everyone else. Let’s not take it for granted. When you can read, you open up a whole world of opportunity and understanding.

“A mind is a terrible thing to waste”



Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I read to our son every night. I was amazed at how alert he becomes and how he studies my lips! It encouraged me to continue cause I can see he really digs it! LOL Wonderful blog and Black folks definitely have to encourage our children to read!

    Kelli
    www.theblackcouple.com

    ReplyDelete